Download speed of bsnl leased line

Discussion in 'BSNL Broadband' started by netGHY, Jul 3, 2014.

1. netGHY

netGHY New Member

I have a BSNL leased line connection in fiber optic, the speed of connection is 2mbps(1:1), when i checked the speed of connection in online speedtest then it shows near 2mbps but when i download a file from any server it shows maximum 300kbps/s.
    is this normal ???? but I think that it should be near 2mbps/s because it is a 1:1 leased line connection !!!!!

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Hello netGHY,

Your connection is 2mbps and that means you should get a speed of 2x1024/8= 256KB/s. If you are getting 300KB/s then that means you are in reality getting 300x8/1024 = 2.34Mbps speed.

Your connection is working great and the extra speed you are getting is a bonus. 1:1 contention ratio means that you are not sharing the connection with other users and have all the 2mbps bandwidth to yourself.

Please do let me know if you have more questions on this, I would be happy to help.

Thanks

3. netGHY

netGHY New Member

Thank u very much Admin for ur reply, but I donot understand the calculation, can u explain me why it is divided by 8 ??????

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

There is a difference between bits and bytes and megabits and megabytes.

The connection you have is 2megabits/sec connection and 2megabits = 256kilybytes = 2048kilobits

When you see the download speed on a torrent client you see that in kilybytes not bits so when you see 256KB/s that is equal to 2Mbit/sec